Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cinderella - Angel JJ [chapter 18+19]

Chapter 18

“Oppa........o...ppa......”


Soo jin tried to say between her hysterical sobbing. Min woo shook his head gravely and didn’t know what to say. When she had rang him in the morning and told him to pick her up at the airport, he was overjoyed. But when he saw her pale and tear smeared face, standing alone waiting with her bag, all the joy in his body was emptied within a second. Even though soo jin sounded slightly abnormal over the phone, min woo was at first too happy to perceive such detail for any relevance. The important thing was, soo jin was home and that was all that counted.


“Soo jin....what happened? I only understood bits and pieces when you told me at the airport.......come on...stop crying....”


She looked up into his smiling but tired face and then down again and started to cry even more uncontrollably. Min woo expressed his frustration in a form of a sigh.


“I’m sorry oppa......for causing you so much trouble....it’s just.....I’m....”


“Don’t worry about it....you know I’m always here for you.....now come on....take a deep breath and breathe it out......do you feel any better.....”


Trying another way to stop the flowing tears, soo jin’s cries died down and now only the constant sniffing and fast inhaling could be heard.


“I’m so sorry....really.....but I didn’t know what else to do.....”


“Tell me what happened.....how come Danny didn’t come back with you?”


At the mention of Danny, soo jin’s face darkened considerably and her round and puffy red eyes watered up again. Min woo immediately knew the cause behind this now.


“What did he do?”


Min woo’s tone turned icy and asked soo jin in a demanding and unpredictable manner.


“I don’t know......it was all fine for the first three weeks we were there......he came home really early everyday and we would spend all our spare time together but then....just a week before.....he started coming home late....sometimes......”


Before continuing, soo jin gave min woo an unsettled look. He urged her to go on and gave her an encouraging smile to show her he would always be there.


“.....sometimes.....he would come home drunk and talk nonsense....I never understood what he was talking about and I knew he was experiencing some problems so I didn’t question him and let it be.....I thought.....maybe....he needed some time away from reality once in awhile.....I was sure it was because he was stressed.....”


“....and then what happened....?”


Min woo enquired softly but his voice was missing the usual calm and confident min woo image behind it.

“.....I started getting phone calls....from a girl.....telling me to go back to where I came from....and that Danny was with her now.....she said.......he wanted to dump me but was scared I was going to take all my things with me and kick him out of the house.....she said........that was the reason why he wanted to be with me in the first place.......”


Soo jin broke down into faint sobs as she remembered her life the past few days.


“Did you ask him....? Maybe it was just a misunderstanding....?”


Min woo asked her carefully. He was definitely worried about Danny and soo jin but he never would have thought Danny would be like this. Sometimes he would wonder if Danny was trustworthy enough but when he saw the look in soo jin’s eyes reserved just for him, all his suspicions were thrown to the back of his head. For soo jin’s sake, he wished Danny would surprise and prove min woo’s doubts to be totally unnecessary. Unfortunately, Danny really lived up to the image and maybe even pushed it a little further in min woo’s mind. Min woo wanted to kick himself for agreeing to let her go in the beginning. What was he thinking?


“I did.....just before I got on the plane.....I asked him who she was.....he gave me a name and then remained silent throughout the whole conversation we had......I don’t know anymore......I know how much it would hurt to hear him say hurtful words but I didn’t think it would hurt even more when he wore a silent mask....I wish he could just admit it if it was true....tell me how stupid I’ve been.....laugh in my face.....maybe I would feel better now if he did......but he didn’t.....he just sat there.....not denying anything but not admitting any accusations either.......I don’t understand.....I just don’t get it.....what went wrong? Where did it go wrong? Who went wrong? Oppa......”


Soo jin finally fell into min woo’s arms and laid her heavy head in his warm and inviting chest. She finally let her heavy eyelids fall down and made herself comfortable, ready for a rest. A really long rest, without thinking, seeing or facing anything reality threw at her fractured soul.


Soo jin.....it’s my fault....I should have protected you.....I promised I would....but.....look at you now......it’s alright.....I won’t let you hurt any longer.....I’m here and I’ll guide you through this.....so just sleep....quietly.....don’t think about anything.....leaving everything to me......let me share your pain......it’s my job......


Min woo could hear soo jin’s slowed down and rhythmic breathing now and he was sure she would not budge for a long time. He pulled a blanket up and covered soo jin’s body gently, afraid he would wake her and then tightened his arms around the fragile figure. Resting his head on hers, min woo let soo jin calm down in his caring arms. He provided the best nest for her injured emotional self to heal.


Danny......you asked for it......I’d watch my back if I was you......I will never forgive you for hurting soo jin like this.....never......


Min woo’s eyes turned from affectionate to threatening in the snap of a finger. His face darkened and thoughts swirled around his mind, every dark and dangerous thought revolved around Danny. He provoked min woo’s deepest fears and his inner hatred now penetrated.

* * * * *

Angel waited for a whole night but his figure never appeared in front of her eyes. He was in soo jin’s room from the morning till just a few minutes ago. The sun was rising, initiating another long day ahead. It was just when Angel was pushing herself up from the ground, experiencing a severe numbness in her legs, that min woo opened the door and walked in. His eyes were bloodshot and his face qualified for the zombie family. Sullen, dull and an unhealthy shade of colour painted his face.


When he spotted Angel in front of the bed and still half on the floor struggling to get up, min woo rushed over to lift her up and sit her on their bed. He sat next to her and placed his face in his hands in irritation. It was only when he heard Angel’s voice that he looked up and stared into her eyes.


“Min woo, are you okay?”


Angel bit her bottom lip as soon as those words escaped her mouth. Deep down, she didn’t want to know what was wrong with min woo because it would just cause her to hurt more but her subconscious and truthful self let slip the question when it didn’t even pass her mind. She had no time to assess the problems this question may lead to because somewhere inside, min woo held a place so dear to her that it would take more than just letting go.


“I’m fine....you should worry more about soo jin...”


Min woo replied carelessly and his eyes were filled with images of soo jin. Angel didn’t reply, she didn’t know how to so she just stared at his face, searching in his gaze for signs. She hoped so much that some form of her was still in his mind, even if it was just a flicker that didn’t last a second even, she didn’t want much because she knew he didn’t have a lot to give. She understood, she forgave, and she was forever waiting.


“So....how’s soo jin?”


She asked timidly. Maybe it was because of the feelings she got, or just the meaning behind it but Angel wanted to shun the name soo jin. It’s not that she didn’t care about soo jin, only god knew how much she cared for her. Soo jin’s tears weren’t only tugging at min woo’s heart, hers was aching just as much. The poor girl, what did she do to deserve anything like this?


But Angel was selfish, she was self centred, she wanted her own pain to be soothed away and right now only min woo was capable of such a thing.


“She’s not that great, didn’t stop crying since I first saw her this morning. All because of that Danny.....”


Min woo’s voice trailed off and deepened at the mention of Danny. He didn’t turn around to look at Angel but she didn’t miss the dim and hurtful cloak over his eyes.


“Min woo.....what are you planning....to do?”


She asked him carefully, afraid to hear his answer.


“I don’t know yet.....”


Min woo replied, thinking hard.


“Look min woo.....whatever it is you are planning.....isn’t cheering up soo jin the most important thing right now? You can’t let her continue on like this....it’s not good for her....so just put everything aside for now....okay?”


She knew he wouldn’t forget about Danny so Angel took another approach into the situation and tried to divert all his attention to soo jin and her emotional state at the moment.


“You think so?”


“Who else is she going to listen to? You know how important you are to her. Devote some time to her, listen to what she has to say.....tell her everything’s going to be alright....what she’s feeling now is critical.....you have to help her walk out of this shadow and forget this or at least lessen the pain.....”

She urged, catching onto the glint of hopefulness in his eyes. After what he had seen, min woo couldn’t think about anything else other than revenge. He wanted to take back what soo jin had given to Danny, he wanted to make him suffer like the way soo jin was suffering. No one gets away with hurting his princess. But after hearing what Angel had to say, min woo’s anger softened considerably and his vengeful impulses faded away slightly. Soo jin didn’t need him to beat the hell out of Danny, she only wanted his support and comfort in her time of need. Min woo could tell she still loved him, even if it might have been only a minute amount. Angel was right, she always was. He knew what he should do.


Chapter 19

A few days after soo jin’s arrival back in Seoul, Angel wanted to take some time off and talk to soo jin alone but soo jin would always be locked up in her room by herself. Min woo didn’t let anyone go into soo jin’s room and her food was always made by Angel and then carried up to her room on a tray by min woo. Angel observed the small amount missing every time the tray was sent upstairs and back. Soo jin was obviously not healed.

She hadn’t seen min woo for a few days now but she would always hear him come in around two to three in the morning. He didn’t know but Angel would always wait until he stepped inside the bedroom before closing her eyes and drifting off to bed. She didn’t stay awake to see him, talk to him or ask him anything. It was just simply because she wanted to know he was close before eluding reality.

* * * * *

The morning sun directed it’s warmth into the dining room of the Lee’s mansion and lightened up the house. It was unfortunate the dazzling rays of gold with glittering stars couldn’t light up the spirits of the souls around the dining table.

It was the first time soo jin had come down for breakfast since coming back and Angel was especially careful with her speech and actions, not wanting to cause any flashbacks for soo jin. She had no idea what would trigger soo jin’s tears once again but from the look on soo jin’s face, her emotional state was definitely unstable. She was trying to hold it together but the cringe of her features told Angel her disguise was near to pieces. No one spoke and breakfast continued on quietly until min woo finally cleared his throat and looked up specifically at Angel and his father.

“I have an announcement to make....”

He waited for reactions but when none came, he took up from where he ended the sentence. Angel’s heart jumped slightly but she didn’t show any evidence on her face.

“Um...I really think soo jin needs some time away so I’m taking three days off from tomorrow and we’re going to Hawaii. The sun and fresh air will be good for her-”

His sentence was cut off by a loud clang on the china.

“Ah, sorry....what were you saying? Hawaii? That’s great.....I...love Hawaii....I’m sure soo jin will enjoy it....”

Angel smiled dryly and moved away the fork she had dropped suddenly onto her plate. She didn’t trust herself to hold the fork so it was put aside and Angel diverted her attention to the coffee in front of her.

“We’ll be back on Sunday if everything goes well....and we’re leaving tomorrow at nine. Dad, take care of yourself will you? And Angel....can you pack soo jin’s clothes for her? I’m taking her out now to buy some things and I really don’t want her to move around too much...”

Min woo said looking at her without much expression. Soo jin did not look up during the whole time and chewed at her food delicately, taking all the time in the world. Her eyes held a distant and misty look.

“Yeah.....sure thing....”

Angel replied in monotone and then picked up her latte and walked with her back towards the table to the kitchen. She was calm and in control skin deep, but inside, she wanted to scream and throw a tantrum. She wanted to tell him that it’s her holiday to Hawaii not soo jin’s, she wanted to make him realise that she did care, in fact, she cared alot. She wanted him to be with her on her birthday, to be by her side and celebrate for her with a smile on his face. She wanted him, but none of these emotions were stronger than her determination. They couldn’t tear down the barrier she built around herself and so she watched in silence as min woo stood up and slid his arm around soo jin, guiding her weak self outside the door. She watched them fade away together into the car and didn’t turn back until several minutes after they had completely left her sight. She didn’t want to turn around, she really didn’t, because it felt like as if she was losing him but then again, how was that possible?

.....you can’t lose something you never had......so.....I’m not really losing him am I? I’ve borrowed your min woo oppa for so long and it’s truly been the happiest days of my life when I was with him.....but....I think I should return him to you now soo jin....like I promised.....I would know when I should step back......now....I’m stepping back........

Min woo’s father stared at Angel who had her back facing him and gazing out the wide open door. He sighed and walked away silently with a deep regret.

You’re a great kid......I hope you stay here with him Angel.....maybe you don’t know but he needs you.......more than he thinks......he’ll come around Angel....he will.....because.......he can’t afford losing you........

* * * * *

Dropping the last bag into the taxi, Angel ran back into the house and waited until soo jin and min woo said goodbye to her dad before approaching.

“I’ll pick you two up at the airport on Sunday so don’t worry about calling a taxi ok?”

She asked min woo with a small smile but he only nodded.

“Soo jin, have fun and don’t stress too much. Relax a bit, everything’s going to be fine....now go on....you’re going to be late if you don’t hurry.” She ushered the two into the taxi and waved a last goodbye but as she turned away, her arm was grabbed by min woo.

“Huh? What’s wrong?”

She asked him confused at his action. Min woo’s lips parted again and again but nothing was heard. He wanted to say something and his eyes begged out to her but Angel brushed it off without much thought.

“You’re going to be late....let go...”

She freed herself from his grasp and urged the driver to start the engine. She didn’t stay back to watch them vanish before her eyes this time, she didn’t feel the need. Yet if she had stayed back, she would have seen the pair of eyes staring at her leaving figure.

Angel walked back into the house to grab her bag before leaving for work. Just as she stepped outside, min woo’s father called her to a halt and handed her a small black velvet box.

“Happy Birthday Angel.....”

“Dad...?”

Her eyes widened as the box was placed on her palm.

“What is it? You really didn’t have to....it’s....just a birthday....”

“No I wanted to.....open it...”

Angel took off the small red ribbon tied around the box and took off the lid to reveal a sparkling pink heart shaped diamond ring.

“What....I can’t-”

“No, take it. This ring was min woo’s mother’s. She wanted me to hand it down to our daughter in law when she had passed away. We always thought it would end up with soo jin one day but I guess nothing turns out the way you think.”

Angel smiled truthfully with the pain written across her face like deep wrinkles.

“I admit I really want to accept this ring....you probably know too....but dad....I’m not going to take something that’s not mine anymore....you said you always thought it would end up in soo jin’s hands.....I’m telling you now.....you were right....”

Shaking her head sadly, the box was handed back to min woo’s father. She turned around and bolted away immediately after because she didn’t know if she could restrain herself for any longer. How she longed for the ring, not because of the physical ring, but the meanings held by it. Angel didn’t want to accept something and then lose it again. She was tired.

I’m so sorry dad.....I’m sorry I didn’t accept the ring but.....I don’t think it belongs to me......I’m glad to see that I finally came through and you’re accepting me to be your daughter in law but it doesn’t matter anymore......your wish will come true when soo jin takes back from me this.......Cinderella dream......

I was almost about to believe that our love was true.....the past few weeks have been the happiest days in my life......I thought he finally understood and accepted me....with....love.....but it seems to be all just a dream......it hurts so much because I believed in a fantasy......

I believed when I was handed the dress and slippers....they would be mine forever....I believed when the clock struck 12 I would still remain gracefully posed in the centre of the ballroom.....I believed the prince would take my hand and tell me he has chosen me......I believed......it wasn’t just a fantasy.....

I guess.....I was delusional in the face of something so perfect?

Because....the dress turned back to rags......my long hair fell down back to my shoulders with all the jewels gone.......I clutched my clothing in embarrassment and cringed at the looks present around the ballroom.....the prince......walked away.....

The crystal clear glass slippers were the only things I had left.....sparkling with a diamond shine yet.....I knew.....just because it didn’t disappear.....it didn’t mean it was mine......it’s time I took them off myself and end this dream.......

* * * * *

“What are you doing here?? I demand you step outside this very moment!!”

Hye sung glared at Angel and pretended to be annoyed at her. He pointed to the door and told her to step outside just for the sake of it. Angel didn’t catch the glint in his eyes and tears appeared in her eyes.

Even you don’t want me anymore......

Hye sung took a step back and was shocked at her change of face. He started to panic when Angel turned on her heal and headed outside.

“ANGEL! Hey....”

He ran after her and took hold of her hand. When Angel faced him and stared at his worried face, the tears she was holding back streamed down her face.

“What’s wrong....?”

He asked softly cupping her face in his hands to face him. His thumbs brushed across her cheeks to rid her face of the tears.

“He doesn’t want me......”

Angel burst out and sobbed uncontrollably in front of hye sung. She didn’t care about keeping herself together anymore. What did she have to lose when she already lost everything? Grabbing onto hye sung, she demanded for him to lend her his shoulders for comfort.

“Oppa.....he doesn’t want me.....you don’t want me.....I’m losing everything....oppa....”

Her cries jerked hye sung’s heart uncontrollably. He had never seen Angel lose her sense of self so completely. Letting his sigh escape, hye sung put his arms around her and kept still. He wanted her to let the stress, the pain, and the feelings of emptiness out.

“Shhh....it’s alright.....who said I didn’t want you? I was only joking.....I figured you should be home on your birthday that’s all.....but.....if you want to work then....we can celebrate here for you too.....it’s alright.....don’t worry....of course I want you....”

At the mention of birthday, Angel’s sobs turned faint. Hye sung looked down at the head buried in his right shoulder and smiled.

“You didn’t think I forgot did you? Wait here....”

He asked jokingly and pulled down her arms, then walked briskly back into the café. Angel stared at his back confused. Where was he going? After a few minutes Hye sung emerged in front of her again carrying a massive gift box in both his arms. He handed over the box into Angel’s arms watching her stunned expression.

“What....is it?” She asked hesitantly.

“Open it and find out. Happy Birthday my dear Angel.” Hye sung replied and smiled at her. Angel nodded placing the box on the floor and took the lid off. Inside was another gift box, a size smaller than the first one.

“This is so cliché oppa.....” She taunted, a small smile finally broke free, lighting up her face. Hye sung breathed out a sigh of relief and scratched his head.

“I was never the creative type anyway....”

Angel kept busy taking out boxes smaller and smaller from the previous one. At last she came down to a small delicate green maple leaf shaped box. She lifted the box out and eased off the lid to reveal a glass crystal figurine. The figurine’s size fitted perfectly on the palm of Angel’s hand and as it twinkled in the sunlight, colours of the rainbow reflected off it’s flawlessly cut surfaces.

“It’s beautiful......thank you...”

“My pleasure....I designed it myself too.....as long as you like it....”

Angel looked up startled.

“You.....designed it?”

He nodded.

She looked back at the figurine to inspect it in detail. It was the figure of a small Angel, kneeling on a cloud with her wings stretched out. The Angel had long hair that blew freely in the wind and her head was looking down at something that was on her palms. Angel squinted and brought the figure even nearer to see what it was and when she finally made out the unknown object, she was shocked. On the palms of the Angel was a tiny pair of glass slippers. They were tinted with a soft jade green which could be seen only in certain angles of lighting.

Biting at her lower lip, her view turned blurry again.

“Thank you so much oppa.....I love it....”

She whispered and clutched the figure tightly in her hands. Hye sung stood still and observed her, saying nothing. When a light breeze blew through the gap between them, his hand brushed against Angel’s cheek and the hair around her face was swept back behind her ear. She stared at his face, using silence as a reply to him. He said nothing, she replied nothing, yet they were communicating. It was a form of mutual understanding that prevented them from getting hurt. Nothing needs to be said to be understood, some things were better left unsaid. Silence is golden, silence is peace.

Hye sung deliberately decided to let her be and not ask, it wasn’t like he didn’t know what reason it was behind her tears. As long as she knew he was here when she needed him, there was nothing else he could do for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment